My Summer Bubble
Summer 2026 is coming to an end, and I have accepted that this summer was not like the rest.
Someone said to me, “I
haven’t seen you outside this summer.”
Another said, “You traveled a lot this summer.”
Neither statement is entirely accurate. I attended a few
events and took one trip.
I had to let go of many things I enjoyed, including hobbies,
social outings, constant productivity (at home and work), and even rest on my
own terms. Instead, I was forced to rest by circumstances beyond my control,
creating my summer bubble.
But on the flip side, accepting what I couldn’t control and
truly letting go allowed me to be fully present in the moment. This experience highlights a universal truth: sometimes, surrendering control brings us closer to acceptance and presence. And by doing so,
I didn’t miss much.
Being present didn’t mean replacing that time with a new
hobby or worrying about what I could or couldn’t do. I stopped caring about
which event I missed, which friends I didn’t hang with, or even who I didn't speak
to. I even ended a dating relationship
that wasn’t aligned with what I needed or wanted in a partnership, which helped me feel more grounded in myself.
Instead, I connected
more with myself and tuned into what my body needed. I slept, cooked meals, sat
in my yard, gazed out into the lake, sunbathed, read, journaled, and binged
some K/C-dramas. I bonded with my daughters
even more than I thought possible. We laughed so much this summer. They
attended fewer camps, which gave us 5 weeks at home. It was wonderful to share that time together and feel grateful for it.
I didn’t take this time for granted. It’s not often that anyone
gets to pause and be in a bubble. But it was interesting to live day by day,
driven by no purpose other than being.
Comments
Post a Comment